Welcome to episode 135! Today I have a few FO’s and a WIP. But more exciting, I talk about Ply Away and share some new stash that followed me home!
Please come and join the Ravelry group.
- Mighty Leaf, Pear Caramel
- Finished: My dragon design, Cascade 220 Superwash in Turtle
- In Progress: Vanilla Socks in Opel Verbundenheit
- Finished: Combo spin – Southern Cross Fibre South African Superfine Merino in Space and Hello Yarn Rambouillet in Breathless Air.
- On deck: Hello Purl SW Merino/Bamboo/Nylon (60/30/10) in Hawaiian Punch
- I shared my experiences from Ply Away 2 and my purchases from vendors: Hello Purl, Yarn Geek Fibers, Essential Fiber, CJ Koho, and Ross Farm Fibers.
- I will be hosting a Sock KAL (knit or crochet) from May 1 to June 30. Come visit the group thread for details.
This weekend I had the pleasure and the privilege to attend the first annual Ply Away, an international spinning get together organized by Jacey Boggs Faulkner of Ply Magazine. I feel so lucky that it was located in Kansas City, my home!
On Friday, I took a full day class with Amy King, owner of Spunky Eclectic and author of the book Spin Control. The class was focused on how to spin sock yarn. We learned all sorts of ways to spin the best sock yarn from selecting the best blends of fiber to spinning and plying techniques. I did take a picture of my one presentable sample, an example of “light and tight” spinning. This means that I spun the singles for this yarn with a light twist, and plied the singles with a tight twist giving me a light and tight yarn.
I didn’t get to spend a lot of time wandering on Friday, but I did manage to head into the market place for a bit of retail therapy. The first day purchases from Huckleberry Knits and Greenwood Fiberworks came home with me.
#plyaway day 1! I was in class most of the day but managed to pick up a few things in the market… Two braids from #huckleberryknits and a gradient set from #greenwoodfiberworks. The handspun is some of the sock yarn I learned how to spin today from the wonderful @amyboogie. #greatday #fiberheaven. Can't wait for tommorrow – I promise more photos!
On Saturday I had a free day and spent it knitting and chatting and shopping. I met up with my friend Stefanie. We had a great lunch and spent time wandering the marketplace and knitting in the lobby.
We saw the new Flatiron Wheel from Schacht.
We wandered all the beautiful booths.
Saturday night was a huge spin in. We had over 100+ knitters in a room with wheels and snacks and fiber and fun!
Sunday afternoon I came back and took my final class, a spindle spinning class with Abby Franquemont, author of Respect the Spindle, the book that taught me to spin. It was an amazing class. I forgot to take more photos, probably because I was just trying to absorb as much of the information as I could.
Overall the weekend was fabulous. I got to meet up with friends from all around the country and immerse myself in all things spinning. I can’t wait for next year!